My more "legit" side

Monday, May 01, 2006

Winamp 30 streams-only fix is fixed for good.

DJ Egg
Moderator

Registered: Jun 2000
From:

Current Status

Shoutcast TV search is broken

And apparently, TV and Radio Listings aren't updating. More info here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread...245#post1915245


Note again, these are all serverside issues, and not Winamp client related.


It's also possible that support for pre 5.2 versions is broken due to the old servers frying, ie. it wasn't intentional. Note that the "upgrade needed" error message also appears on www.winamp.com/music


Update 2
Ok, the flash listings on winamp.com/music is now fixed
Though I'm not sure if listings on pre 5.2 builds is/will be fixed yet...


Update 3
The old pre-5.2x listings are limited to 30 streams only.
The old list server fried due to flaws in the old listing method.
It is deemed no longer viable to maintain/serve the old listings. Sorry.
Full content (including ~13,000 shoutcast radio streams) is available in 5.21.


----------------------------------EOF



And the End Of Winamp.

Who needs it.
Too many 5.21 complaints.

And what in the hell is with the Passive Voice, "It was deemed..." Huh?
I want to know, neh, we all want to know the name of the IDIOTS that deemed this crap, "The old list server fried due to flaws in the old listing method." PURE CRAP. They just didn't feel like maintaining it. THat sounds like an AOL A-HOLE's "plan" to get everyone to go 5.21.

BUT THAT SHOULD'NT MATTER:

Since they are not willing to allow more than 500 streams appear in the ML at a time in version 5.21 AND they are not willing to fix backward comapatiblity for full station listings (which we all know could EASILY be FIXED server-side with ONE XML PAGE and an RSS feed to keep up to date, all without being FORCED to use a version that is clearly not ready, I mean they don't need a server farm to keep a list alive - that's ludicrous blaming fried server's for what amounts to be an html document) as was available in Winamp versions up to 5.13, I say

SCREW USING WINAMP ANYMORE.

It's just not the same.

At all,

EOW.

No comments:

"HEY, dude! What"s with the name change?"

I took the name from a company that was apparently - for 6 months - either out of business or freakishly absent from the web, adding further mystery and intrigue to the WWW, and my lawyer advised me that since I do not sell products using this blog and websidestory.com does, I do not have to give them my blog name. So I will not. Not that there will be any future problems from said company, it's just that MY lawyer advises ME, and I usually follow that advise. Good hunting and be thinking Caddyshack 2 if you need to know what my lawyer is like.

copyrights

copyright 2005+ by Dan Prowse